JAC Board Class 10th English Sample Question Paper Set 1
TIME: 3Hrs (Class Xth) Maximum Marks: 80
- This paper is divided into three sections.
- Section A -Reading : 22 Marks
- Section B -Writing : 16 Marks
- Section C- Grammar : 14 Marks
- Section D – Text Book : 30 Marks
- All questions are compulsory.
- Figures in the margin indicate full marks.
- Candidates are required to give their answers in their own words as far as practicable.
- Answers of the questions must be in context of the instructions given therein.
- Read the following passage and answer the questions that follow:
The joint family system has undergone a drastic change in India. There are number of factors which are leading to its disintegration. Opportunities dor employment outside agriculture and especially in the urban areas are increasing; as a result of which the young men of rural areas have been shifting to those places. Many young persons in the urban areas are also moving out of the parent places to seek opening in the other parts of the country or even outside of India. The property disputes and sour relation between the mother-in-law and daughter-in-law have forced many persons to opt for an independent living. As a result of disintegration of joint families, the aged have lost the traditional source of economic and social support which was easily available to them in joint families.
- What change do we see in the joint family system in India? 2
- Why are the young men from the villages shifting to towns or cities? 2
- What types of disputes are common in joint families? 2
- What loss have they (the aged) suffered? 2
- Pick out from the passage the word similar to meaning “extreme”. 2
2. The Mohwa is one of the most important of Indian forest trees, not for its timber but for its
delicious flowers. To the people of Central India it provides the most important article of food as the flowers can be stored almost indefinitely. The Mohwa tree has a large thick grey bark. Most of the leaves fall from February to April and during that time the scented flowers, appear in close bunches of a dozen or so. It is at night that the tree blooms and at dawn each short lived flower falls to the ground. A couple of months after the flowering period, the fruit opens. They are fleshy green berries. They are quite large and contain from one to four shiny brown seeds.
The gathering of the edible Mohwa flowers is an important business to the country people. Below the tree the ground is cleared and swept and at dawn blooms are collected and allowed to dry out on the earth. The flowers taste something like pressed figs. Sugar puddings and other sweetmeats are made from them. All parts of the fruits, both ripe and unripe are used. A thick oil is extracted from the kernels, which being yellowish, gives it the name of ‘Butter Tree’. The oil is used for cooking, making soap and candles.
- Why is the Mohwa one of the most important of Indian forest trees? 2
- How do the fruits of Mohwa look? How many seeds does each fruit have? 2
- What is the other name of Mohwa? 2
- Complete the following: 1+1 = 2
- The Mohwa tree has a large thick ……………
- The flower tastes something like …………….
- Complete the following words: 1 + 1 = 2
SECTION -B (Writing ) Marks 16
3. Write a letter to your friend for congratulating him on his success. 8
Write a letter to the editor of a leading newspaper about the frequent breakdown of electricity in your local area.
4. Write a paragraph on any one of the following topics in about 80 words:- 8
i. Student life
ii. Life in a big city
iii. The season you like most.
SECTION -C (Grammar) Marks 14
5. Fill in the blanks with the correct form of verbs given in brackets:- (½)*4 = 2
- You are not allowed …… (smoke) here.
- The patient ……(die), before the doctor came.
- He ……(go) to Mumbai, yesterday.
- She is tired of ………(wait).
6. Fill in the blanks with a suitable sentence. Connectors given in brackets: 1*3 = 3
(till/until, as, while)
- …….. You sow, so shall you reap.
- Make the hay……. The Sun shines.
- You have to wait ……. The train passes.
7. Transform the following sentences as directed in the brackets: 1*4 = 4
- The weather is too hot to come out. (Remove too)
- He said to me “Why did you do so, yesterday” (Indirect speech)
- Taking a pen, she wrote a poem (Into compound sentence)
- Who can control the wind? (Into Assertive)
8. Fill in the blanks with ‘who’, ‘how’ and ‘when’. 1*3 = 3
- I know ……. to cook food.
- Tell me …….. he arrives.
- God helps those ………help themselves
9. Fill in the blank with suitable Models (Can, May Should, Must) (½)*4 = 2
- Work hard, so that you ………. pass.
- Candidates …….. answer all the questions
- They …….. Avoid the company of bad boys.
- I ……… make it myself.
SECTION D (Text Book) Prose (10 marks)
10. Read the following passage and answer the questions that follow:
The moon was coming up in the east, behind me, and stars were shining in the clear sky above me. There wasn’t a cloud in the sky. I was happy to be alone high up above the sleeping countryside. I was flying my old Dakota aeroplane over France back to England. I was dreaming of my holiday and looking forward to being with my family. I looked at my watch: one thirty in the morning.
Questions: 1X4 = 4
- Who is ‘me’ here in the first line?
- Which two things made the pilot happy?
- What was the pilot dreaming of?
- Find a word from the passage which means ‘without any company’.
11. What was Valli’s strongest desire? What did she do to fulfill it? 6
How did the young Seagull make his first flight?
12. Read the extract given below and answer the questions that follow: 1X4 = 4
He stalks in his vivid stripes
The few steps of his cage,
On pads of Velvet quiet,
In his quiet rage.
- Name the poem and the poet, which this extract has been taken.
- Who is ‘He’ and where is ‘he’ at present?
- What mood is ‘he’ in at present?
- How does he walk?
13. Answer the following questions in about 30-40 words: 2X3 = 6
a) How will the world end twice?
b) Where has the boy lost his ball? What is the effect of loss of his mind?
c) Mention three things that humans do animals don’t?
SUPPLEMENTARY READER (10Marks)
14. Write a character sketch of Horace Danby? 8
Write a character sketch of Bholi?
15. How dod Ausable get rid of Max 2
Who was Griffin and what type of a man he?
Best of Luck